Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Revise Your Novel

I am revising my 2006 NaNoWriMo novel Happenstance. I am on page four of the initial pass through.

I did my "What I Wanted" worksheet which wasn't too bad an exercise and it clarified where I want my story to go. I am now going through the "What I Ended Up With" process and making notes as to how it deviated from what I wanted and how it dovetailed with my original vision. This part is hard but I expect to learn loads for future novel writing.

I am using Holly Lisle's online courses How To Revise Your Novel and How To Think Sideways. I have always liked Holly's writing (she has 32 published novels) and she loves to help people who love to write. If you are interested in either of her courses, click one of the links below.



      


12 comments:

  1. very cool. i will keep that in my toolkit...

    and disqus(ting) is gone! woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't done any writing lately, blogging or other. Hopefully I will get with the program soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing I don't write novels. I'd flunk. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more Disqus?
    Thats calls for a Friday Flash 55!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even think of stuff to write on my blog anymore (more than a year now). You have my admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been contemplating documenting the past eight years of my life. Now that I have moved on, I have found some humor in what I once viewed as quite catastrophic...

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fine tune your old novel is fun...
    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. http://jingleyanqiu.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/the-celebrate-blogger-of-april-award-announcement-art-humor-short-stories/

    vote if not done so,
    or take the award...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm revising my 2009 NaNo and really agonizing over it. I think you've got a better handle on the process.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for these insights, my friend. I admire your tenacity. I wish I had it. I will follow up on this woman's work, though.

    ReplyDelete