Monday, February 08, 2010

Dark

There is a contest at The Tenth Daughter of Memory. I’m not really sure how it works, but there’s going to be nine muses (prompts) and you write something for each. Then all nine make up one whole story. I am behind. 5 muses are already up. The first muse is “A Random Memory.” Here’s my 1st.
Dark
She screamed as the door slammed shut and the bolt slid into place. She banged her small fists on the aged wood, splitters biting into the flesh of her hands. She kicked at the barrier, doing nothing more than injuring her toes. She stomped in frustration. She yelled at the top of her lungs but no one came to let her out.


The cold and the dark of the attic room of the nine hundred year old farm house brought out goose bumps on her skin despite the heat her body produced from her fight. The old stones, thick deep slabs quarried from the Alps, kept out light and the sounds of the neighbors trying to come to her rescue. Her senses damped down, focusing to only those things her brain created.


Her seven year old mind conjured up monsters hiding in the deep shadows, with sharp teeth and long claws waiting to punish her for annoying the adults on the other side of the door. A cool draft brushed along the back of her neck, the breath of some long dead resident of the communal building, a whisper of an ancient mountain man with knarled fingers and long white hair and beard. 


Talons from the serpent that lived in the salt caves high above the valley clicked along the marble floor, edging closer to her, forcing her to condense into a small ball for protection.


Holding herself still, she waited for the beasts to devour her. Instead, she felt a caress along her left cheek. She raised her head and looked into the glowing eyes of her angel. He folded her into his lap, his wings and arms hugging her small body and calming her shaking. He sang unintelligible lullabies in her ear and whispered soothing assurances. His familiar presence kept her quiet and she fell asleep curled into his warmth.


The morning and the afternoon passed without her notice.


She played games with her angel building castles and palaces in the black space surrounding her. Her angel introduced her to the dead old man. She talked to the spirit of his living memories: the frothy ale he loved, the cows he herded into mountain pastures in bright, sunny summers and his wife’s warm brown bread. She petted the dragon, her fear evaporating in her growing acquaintance with him.


She liked this world so much better than the one on the other side of the door.
green butterfly
v





32 comments:

  1. Did anyone tell you what a brilliant writer you are. This is wonderful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a very strange childhood. But you tell of it brilliantly. Do you still have these experiences at night?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full of suspense, just like I like my stories to be.;)
    xo
    Zuzaba

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tense writing - really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thom: You are such a sweet talker. Thanks.

    ScoMan: Thank you for the encouragement.

    Tom & Icy: It was a bit odd. Thanks. If I could only get more OUT. I still have trouble separating “real” life from fantasy, even in the daytime.

    Protégé: I hope I can continue it. Glad you enjoyed.

    Michelle: Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So will you have to go back and do the other 5 that you've missed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I can't wait to read the other installments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my oh my....this is great. I love the line where he folded her into his lap and his wings surrounded her small body.


    Have a great Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a creative writing great job

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like this Nessa. Sometimes I would like an angel to calm me down. It would be so much better than what is often on the "other side of the door". Great piece. What a way to begin my Monday morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The story pulled me in but now I'm not sure whether to fear for her or be happy for her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent! You've drawn me in. Since you're already late, you can jump ahead with the next one right away, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find it fascinating just like I've just escaped into a magical world!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This reminds me of the opening of JANE EYRE--only that episode doesn't get quite so warm and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will we get the rest of the story?
    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your memories seem amazingly clear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Vanessa Kilmer....
    Fantastic Imagry My Dear!
    I really liked this.
    I think you should win!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Honestly, this is COOL.
    I like it so much.
    I shall be back!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  19. So good! I'll be waiting for what comes next. You have a real talent for story telling.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those conversations with the spirit of the man intrigue me. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow Nessa. WOW! This was a fabulous story! I love the transition from terror to comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Before I got to the angel part, I just wanted to scoop her up and hug her. Thank you for sending an angel in to do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, ho! So what else awaits in the World On the Other Side of the Door?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is marvelous Nessa!
    I was caught up in this right away and didn't want it to end.
    Really hoping you continue.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I clicked enter too soon.
    That as me.
    Sorry,
    Carletta

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very powerful. Now off to read today's installment!!

    ReplyDelete